Fans to see SA-Mali tie on TV

Safa president Danny Jordaan.
Safa president Danny Jordaan.
Image: Richard Huggard /Gallo Images

The blackout of Bafana Bafana games on the SABC is set to come to an end, with an agreement already having been reached to televise the Nelson Mandela Challenge on Sunday on the public broadcaster.

Safa president Danny Jordaan confirmed that a new deal is in the pipelines and that the match between Bafana and Mali in Port Elizabeth this weekend will be on the screen.

"Yes, the match will be televised on the SABC. We are now very close to signing an agreement with the SABC that will bring an end to the tug-of-war we have had," Jordaan said.

"We hope that the SABC will make the progress that we all hope for. It's an important institution in our society and is an important partner of football in the country.

"You have seen some of the women's matches on the SABC [Women's League] and now Bafana will be back."

In the previous deal, SABC used to pay Safa R100m annually for the rights to all national team games. The cash-strapped public broadcaster said it could no longer afford to pay that amount and made a measly offer of R10m per year.

The struggling public body received a cash injection of R2.1bn from National Treasury last week and will get a further R1.1bn once certain governance criteria are met.

Jordaan said the government bailout has helped the situation.

"We are no longer in that place of that offer they put in and we rejected. We are in a far better place," the CAF vice-president said.


SportsLIVE PODCAST SPECIAL: "Mark Alexander must step down" over Etzebeth - Claassen

For more episodes, click here.

X