Thoriso Themane murder case postponed

Image: 123RF/stockstudio44

The latest development in the Thoriso Themane case has resulted in a postponement of seven days, according to Limpopo MEC for Transport Makoma Makhurupetje. 

On Thursday a sixth suspect was arrested in connection with the murder of the Flora Park resident. The suspect is also a minor.   

The other five suspects aged between 15-16 years old were arrested on Monday. Sowetan reported on Thursday that one of the accused had previously stabbed someone at a party in 2018.

Makhurupetje was speaking to media outside the Polokwane Magistrates’ Court where she said the police had stated that there would be further investigations due to the new development.

“We came to understand what has happened to the case of Thoriso Themane.  We were told they were finalising the matter, and the matter is going to be postponed for the next seven days. We’ll have to come back because they need to do more investigations,” she said.

Themane died on Saturday from his injuries after allegedly being beaten by the teens.  

His death has sparked social media outrage and a petition under the hashtag #JusticeForThoriso. 

The case will be back in court next week Thursday. 

Community members gathered outside the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court on February 28 2019 to demand justice for slain Thoriso Themane. Six school pupils, arrested in connection with the fatal beating of the aspirant musician, appeared briefly in court, before being remanded in custody until their case resumes in seven days.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

X