Mabuza reassured the nation that money will not be looted.
“All checks and balances will be put in place to ensure that there is no corruption in the implementation of the post-recovery measures.”
He reminded members that R1bn was pledged by the National Treasury when the disaster struck and explained that “the minister of finance has directed the province to reprioritise some of their programmes so that they can take care of the disaster”.
“Whatever the shortfall, Cogta and the National Treasury will augment the shortfall.”
The department of water & sanitation has delivered about 82 water tankers to the affected families and home affairs has dispersed mobile units to help those who have lost their documentation.
On the service delivery issues facing the Maluti-a-Phofung municipality and Eskom, Mabuza told MPs that in June last year parliament was informed that processes were under way to finalise an agreement between the two parties.
“We further stated that such an agreement would include modalities for collection of revenue, as directed on 8 June 2021 by the court. This view was based on an understanding that the agreement would result in a sustainable resolution of the municipality’s outstanding and escalating debt.”
He said the court order lapsed on June 22 2021.
“Cogta has advised that the two parties are now preparing to go back to court to adjudicate on the matter, and for the court to grant the final order to bring finality to the dispute. This means that as far as the Eskom distribution agency agreement is concerned, this is still subject to court processes.”