Duduzane Zuma culpable homicide case postponed
A seemingly relaxed jovial Duduzane Zuma appeared briefly in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court this morning on two counts of culpable homicide.
His father, and former president, Jacob Zuma was also present in court to support his son. Duduzane’s matter is in connection with a 2014 car crash on the M1 South highway near Grayston Drive.
State Prosecutor Yusuf Baba said the state handed over the contents of the docket but Duduzane’s defence had not had ample time to go through the documents.
“We have arranged a date of October 26 to revolve all pre-trial issues and for transfer of his matter to a trial court” Baba said.
Phumzile Dube, who was in the taxi, was killed instantly while three others were injured. Pedzisane Dube, Phumzile’s brother previously told the Sowetan that he was relieved that Zuma would finally have his day in court.
“There was a time when things were quiet and we didn’t know if he would be prosecuted. We are just happy that we will finally get to see justice,” he said.
A second woman, Jeanette Mashaba, died a couple of weeks later.
However, during the inquest, it was found that her death was not a result of the accident and that she died in hospital of natural causes.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.