Matric rewrite results under wraps
Two-and-a-half months after the controversial Grade 12 Qed' ibanga supplementary exams programme was completed in Mpumalanga, exam results have not been made public.
While the marking of these papers started on July 4 and the results were forwarded to the candidates on July 25, the department is yet to make a public announcement about the success of the programme.
When asked for an update, departmental head Ray Tywakadi and the director of public exams, Ntombikayise Hlophe, could not produce a final list of the number of pupils who wrote the exams, or the number who had passed.
The initiative was aimed at affording pupils who had failed Grade 12 last year to write supplementary exams, to help them attain a senior certificate.
Due to the change of the curriculum to outcomes-based education, pupils who failed Grade 12 last year were unable to return to school this year, as the class of 2008 was the first group to apply the new curriculum.
During implementation of the Qed' ibanga programme, serious problems were experienced, including the unavailability of teachers, lack of transport for pupils and the lack of commitment from pupils.
The Democratic Alliance said the department's failure to make the results public was fuelled by the dismal outcome of the programme.
"It is important that the success of this initiative be determined," said DA leader Anthony Benadie.
Education department spokesman Jasper Zwane could not be reached for comment.