Thembinkosi Rawula stands by EFF allegations

EFF leaders Julius Malema and Floyd Shivambu are being accused of using party fund to fund their lavish lifestyles.
EFF leaders Julius Malema and Floyd Shivambu are being accused of using party fund to fund their lavish lifestyles.
Image: THULI DLAMINI

Defiant EFF MP Thembinkosi Rawula has refused to withdraw statements he made about party leaders, despite being instructed to do so by their lawyers.

In a letter seen by Sowetan, Rawula instead told EFF leader Julius Malema and his deputy Floyd Shivambu's lawyers to provide tangible proof that each allegation he made was false after they wrote to him, demanding that he retract allegations he made against the two last week.

"With reference to your letter to me, requesting that I must retract my social media post against your client. I wish to record that I will not be retracting any post from social media unless your client provide the following evidence," said Rawula in the letter.

Rawula, who was sworn in as an MP in 2015, said he would not retract his statement unless Malema provided him with his audited financial statements for the past four years from Absa, Standard Bank and two from FNB.

He further requested the party to disclose all organisational bank and credit card statements and invoices indicating payment to services providers since 2014.

Although he admitted that he had kept quiet for some time because he was "thinking with his stomach", Rawula said he wanted the party to explain to him which criteria were used and why he was excluded from the party's candidate list for people who are likely to head back to parliament after the May 8 elections.

"Please give substantive evidence that proves that the exclusion of myself from the parliament list was not premeditated by you and your deputy president and had nothing to do with your prejudice against me as the result of my views on VBS in the last CCT [central command team] meeting before the list conference."

In a lengthy post on Facebook on Friday, Rawula alleged that the duo had taken more than R35m belonging to the party for personal use.

The party dismissed his allegations as lies driven by him not having made the party's list to return to parliament.

Malema is expected to address a press briefing today.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

X