Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma begins inquiry into ANC election lists

The ANC’s investigation into alleged irregularities in the May 2011 local government elections candidate lists will start in Limpopo today.

Home Affairs Minister Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who heads the probe, said they would first meet with the party’s provincial executive committee, the Limpopo ANC said in a statement.

Following that, there would be meetings with everyone involved in the list processes in the Peter Bokaba, Mopane, Waterberg, Vhembe and Sekhukhune regions.

The task team had already completed investigations in seven other provinces.

“We have made significant progress thus far due, by and large, to the co-operation and support we have been getting from all provincial, regional and branch structures,” she said in a statement.

After Limpopo, the task team would head to the Eastern Cape.

It would then compile a report to be presented to the African National  Congress’s national executive committee.

Before last year’s May 18 local government elections, the ANC announced a new process allowing communities to select their candidates. There were however several protests around the country when popular candidates were removed from the ANC’s candidate lists.

In one case residents in the Eastern Cape’s OR Tambo region wanted the Independent Electoral Commission to reject the lists, which they claimed had been tampered with.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.