ANC still mum on Vavi saga

COSATU general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi has not received any official communication from the ANC on possible disciplinary charges for ill-discipline, an official said yesterday.

COSATU general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi has not received any official communication from the ANC on possible disciplinary charges for ill-discipline, an official said yesterday.

"So far, nothing," said Cosatu spokesperson Patrick Craven.

Vavi, whose cellphone went to voicemail yesterday, told the SABC on Tuesday evening that a decision to charge him would split the tripartite alliance between the ANC, Cosatu and the SACP.

The ANC also remained mum on rumours that Vavi might be disciplined for criticising the government.

"We are unable to comment on rumours or speculation because no decision has been made public on the matter," ANC spokesperson Brian Sokutu told Sapa.

The ANC's national working committee (NWC), its top leadership structure, held a closed meeting on Monday, after which The Star newspaper said four sources had confirmed that charges against Vavi were discussed.

Cosatu said on Tuesday it had also heard from ANC sources that charges were pending.

Vavi last week accused President Jacob Zuma of not taking action against corrupt ministers.

He singled out Cooperative Governance Minister Sicelo Shiceka and Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda, who is a member of the ANC NWC.

ANC general secretary Gwede Mantashe did not want to be drawn into commenting on Tuesday, saying only that Vavi should show proof of charges being brought against him.

The SACP blamed a "reckless" grouping within the ANC.

"We simply cannot believe that the ANC can take such a reckless decision, which runs counter to the ANC's own commitment to the alliance it leads," SACP spokesperson Malesela Maleka said.

The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa said it was "dismayed" at the "renewed political offensive" against Vavi.

The National Education, Health and Allied Workers' Union was "angered" by the reports.

"The union will vehemently oppose any attempt by corrupt and fascist elements within the ANC to silence our federation by targeting its general secretary, who speaks not for himself but for the millions of workers who elected him." - Sapa

X