POSTAL STRIKE ON

20090902  Moeketsi Lepheane addressing a crowd of Post office workers and members of CWU (Communications Workers Union) on strike outside Witspos in Ormonde south of Johannesburg on the 2nd September 2009,  the striking workers where getting a feed back from the union delegates on salaries. PHOTO; ELVIS NTOMBELA
20090902 Moeketsi Lepheane addressing a crowd of Post office workers and members of CWU (Communications Workers Union) on strike outside Witspos in Ormonde south of Johannesburg on the 2nd September 2009, the striking workers where getting a feed back from the union delegates on salaries. PHOTO; ELVIS NTOMBELA

The post office strike is not over and the Communication Workers Union has vowed it would continue until all their demands were met.

The post office strike is not over and the Communication Workers Union has vowed it would continue until all their demands were met.

Gauteng secretary Moeketse Lepheane told hundreds of workers outside Witspos in Ormonde, Johannesburg, yesterday that a misunderstanding had created the impression that the strike was over.

At the same time, the South African Post Office yesterday went to court to seek an urgent interdict to stop the strike. A ruling had not been made at the time of going to press.

"We will not go back to work. The certificate for our strike is not about salary increases.

"We are trying to close the apartheid wage gap," Lepheane said.

Lepheane thanked the union members for redirecting the leaders back on course.

He said the union's general secretary, Gallant Roberts, and second deputy president, Mathapelo Mphuti, had been removed from the negotiating team.

"The ball is in our court. It is up to us to strengthen the leadership," he said.

He said they had informed Cosatu that the strike might take longer than the municipal dispute that lasted a month.

"We want our money. We know they have it but they are arrogant about it.

"How we get it is our business - rightly or wrongly we will get our money," he said.

Lepheane said they had instructed Roberts to reverse the media release claiming the strike was over and to ask the Sapo management for an urgent date to continue the negotiations.

CWU deputy provincial secretary Bongani Nkosi apologised to the workers.

"Some workers are at work today because of the blunder made at head office," he said.

Meanwhile, Sapo expressed shock and disappointment at the increase of violence and criminal actions that flared up overnight.

Sapo's chief executive Motshoanetsi Lefoka said: "Following the agreement with the CWU, any industrial action is unprotected and the post office reserves the right to deal with such actions appropriately."

She said they believed the criminal actions were by a minority and would be treated as such.

Lefoka said the Witspos, Tshwane, Germiston and Krugersdorp mail centres had to be temporarily closed on Tuesday to protect property and employees .

X