- Enjoy working outdoors, in all weather conditions
- Like working with plants and/or animals
- Perseverance, diligence and patience
- Organisational ability
- Good planning, analytical and problem solving skills
- Good leadership qualities and interpersonal relationships
- Good health and physical strength, stamina and agility
- Ability to endure isolation and limited social contact
- Independent, responsible and self-disciplined
- Mechanical aptitude and able to work with computers
How to enter
Schooling & school subjects
- National Senior Certificate meeting degree requirements for a degree course
- National Senior Certificate meeting diploma requirements for a diploma course
Each institution has its own entry requirements.
What to study
Formal training in agriculture is available on four different levels, namely schools, agricultural colleges, universities of technology and universities.
Schools: Certain secondary schools offer Agriculture as a formal subject. There are also special agricultural schools where the students are obliged to take one or more agricultural subjects. These schools usually have a farming unit with enough agronomic and animal material for demonstration as well as for training purposes.
At most agricultural schools, the choice of subject is such that matric exemption can be obtained.
Agricultural colleges: Worcester College of Agriculture offers agricultural courses in Farming Management that can result in a N4, N5, and N6 Diploma in Agriculture - emphasis is placed on the agricultural situation prevalent in the area served by the specific college.
Other agricultural colleges in the country are,
- Elsenburg Agricultural Development Institute - Stellenbosch
- Glen Agricultural Development Institute - Bloemfontein
- Grootfontein Agricultural College - Middelburg
- Cedara Agricultural Development Institute - Pietermaritzburg
- Lowveld Agricultural College - Nelspruit
- Owen Sitole College of Agriculture
Agricultural degrees and diploma’s are also offered by various TVET (Technical Vocational Education and Training) Colleges.
Degree: BSc (Agric) and other agricultural degrees - NMMU, UFS, UFH, UL, US, UKZN, UP, UV, UZ, UNISA, NWU
Diploma: Various diplomas are offered by different universities of technology, - CPUT, CUT, TUT, DUT.
- Large farming corporations
- Owners of large farms
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Health
- Department of Land Affairs
- Universities, universities of technology and agricultural colleges
- Self-employment, with own farm
- Try to obtain vacation work as a farm-hand
- Grow vegetables in your own garden
- Keep and care for pets
- Arrange to visit different farms and speak to farmers about this type of career