Gruesome end to feuding couple

The community of Doornkop, Soweto, were shocked to discover their neighbour had apparently kept the corpse of his lover in his shack for two days after the pair had a fight on Sunday.

According to neighbours, the 42-year-old man, August Ndlovu, allegedly killed his partner Puseletso Ndaba, 45, on Sunday after a heated argument that turned violent.

However, neighbours only found out about Ndaba's death on Tuesday afternoon.

The angry community apparently confronted Ndlovu after a curious neighbour made the grisly discovery. Ndlovu was then allegedly assaulted by fellow residents who kept him in his shack, with his lover's body, while they waited for police.

But when police eventually arrived, they found that Ndlovu had also allegedly hanged himself.

The pair had a four-year-old child together. The child's whereabouts is unclear.

Neighbours told Sowetan yesterday that Ndlovu had kept Ndaba's body in the shack after he allegedly killed her.

Betty Serole, a neighbour, said the pair had a heated argument on Sunday night, which turned physical.

"They were outside and were manhandling each other and arguing but then went back inside their home.

"I tried to intervene but they wouldn't listen to me, so I left them alone and went back to my shack," Serole said.

She became curious on Tuesday when she realised she had not seen Ndaba in two days.

She decided to go find out, and when she arrived she thought Ndaba was merely asleep as she found her lying on the bed.

"The house was a mess, you could tell that there was a fight that happened there."

Another neighbour, Nthabeleng Mkhwanazi, said what increased their suspicion was that the door was blocked from the inside. She said when they pushed it open they made the grisly discovery.

"Her body was covered with a blanket and we could tell that she was dead. We left the house and found Ndlovu and questioned him about what happened. He said he didn't know and that he left Puseletso sleeping," Mkhwanazi said.

She said community members who had gathered at the shack then assaulted Ndlovu.

"He was beaten by the community and then they left him in the shack with the body.

"We called the police and an ambulance. Some community members later went to check on him and they found him dead ... he hanged himself," she said.

Police spokesman Constable Mzwakhe Xhazi confirmed bruises on Ndaba's body but would not elaborate on Ndlovu's condition.

It was not clear yesterday if police were investigating any cases of assault against those who attacked Ndlovu.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.