Youth League in Western Cape slams 'mischievous' members for contradicting its call for Manana to be sacked
The ANC Youth League in the Western Cape has slammed some of its members who issued a statement contradicting its leadership’s call for deputy minister Mduduzi Manana to be sacked.
On Friday‚ the league issued a strongly worded statement calling for President Jacob Zuma to sack Manana from his post as deputy minister of Higher Education and Training.
“The ANCYL will not support our former ANCYL NEC member‚ Deputy Minister Manana‚ after he assaulted a woman. His actions are a slap in the face of our movement’s campaign to end violence against women‚ especially young women‚” reads the statement.
It said the league was troubled by Manana’s inconsiderate response and his justification that he acted after “extreme provocation“.
Manana is currently facing a case of assault after he allegedly assaulted a woman at around 3am on Sunday last week at a Johannesburg night club.
The Sunday Times has reported that Manana was a “boss from hell” who threw tantrums‚ blackmailed and abused his staff.
In their statement‚ the league said: “We cannot have members of the Executive acting with impunity. They must be an example to society and clearly Deputy Minister Manana has failed.”
“Furthermore‚ his allegation that he was provoked by a homophobic slur is shocking and must be condemned. South Africa has one of the most progressive constitutions in the world and Deputy Minister Manana’s action is an insult to all our students of different sexual orientation‚” reads the statement.
However‚ on Saturday‚ a new statement attributed to the party’s chairperson‚ Mohammed Khalid Sayed‚ provincial secretary Andile Mbali and spokesman‚ Siyabulela Tom surfaced on Facebook.
The statement disputed that the league had called for Manana’s sacking as it had not met for months.
“It is true that we are troubled by his inconsiderate response and his justification that he acted after extreme provocation. But our stand on the matter is to condemn violence against women and accept the apology of the Comrade Mdu‚” reads the statement.
But Sayed dismissed the new statement‚ saying it was forged and was a work of “mischievous individuals”.
“We don’t know who is the author of that statement ....we are appealing to the President to remove Manana‚ he is a disgrace as a deputy minister‚” said Sayed.
He said Manana was more of a disgrace to them because as a former ANCYL leader‚ he should know better.