Woman dies in Durban house fire

A Durban woman burned to death as a fire raged through her Malvern home on Wednesday night just hours after husband succumbed to illness in hospital.

The mother of four died while trying to clamber out of a bathroom window as the house was razed around her.

Her four children‚ aged between 5 and 13‚ escaped the blaze.

 Paramedics and firefighters had rushed to the scene and arrived to find the house completely engulfed by flames.

 The 37-year-old woman was found ensnared in the burglar bars of a bathroom window that she had been trying to climb out of.

 According to sources within the emergency services‚ who could not be named‚ the fire is thought to have been started by a candle.

 Rescuecare spokesman Ceron Lennox said that the woman had sustained severe burns and had died prior to their arrival.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.