Schoolboy (9) hit by speeding car

WHEN Thoko Mdlokovane of Cato Crest in Durban sent her 9-year-old son to school yesterday morning she had no idea that she would be rushing him to hospital in a critical condition hours later.

Sabelo Mdlokovane was taken to the Addington Hospital with head and spinal injuries after a speeding car scooped him from the pavement.

Speaking from the hospital, still wearing his bloodstained school shirt, Sabelo said he was counting how much money he had left after buying sweets when "a reversing car" ploughed into him. "I was going to put my sweets into my bag when I felt the car hit me," he said.

Emergency paramedic Jeffrey Wicks said: "He was found by Netcare 911 paramedics in a serious condition, lying at the roadside. He had sustained head and spinal trauma and was treated by medics at the scene before being transported by ambulance to hospital. The driver didn't see the child and the bakkie struck him."

Still shaken from the ordeal, Sabelo's mom said: "I was dizzy when I heard the news. It took me about 15 minutes to get to the scene of the accident after I heard what had happened. I was very scared.

"I had given him R10 for pocket money today."

He was discharged late yesterday afternoon.

In a separate incident, a 25-year-old man, who was flung over a bridge in the Durban city centre, is still reeling from shock. Wiseman Jali was left with his left arm and right leg broken after four men, whom he thought were his friends, flung him from the Bulwer Road Bridge. Jali landed on the N3 Pietermaritzburg carriageway in the early hours of yesterday morning.

While awaiting an operation to mend his injuries Jali said: "I had gone to visit a friend yesterday and he introduced me to these three guys. They told me that they would give me a lift to my home in Newlands East and I agreed. Once we were in the car they said they wanted my cellphone and wallet, which contained R400. Then they threw me over the bridge."

Jali said he managed to drag himself to the side of the carriageway and waited for hours for help to arrive.

"The incident happened about 10pm. Nobody on the road could see me. So I had to wait for daylight to get help."