Suspended municipal manager resigns

The battle is finally over between the beleaguered Blouberg municipality in Limpopo and its formerly suspended manager, Isaac Makhura after the two parties parted ways.

Makhura had been sitting at home for the past six months earning a salary of about R50000 a month.

He finally resigned from the municipality on March 24 and his decision was accepted by the council on Monday at a special meeting.

Makhura was suspended after he was accused of failing to implement council resolutions.

Elias Machovani, who was seconded from the Limpopo department of local government and housing, had been acting in Makhura's place since the latter's suspension.

Machovani was not earning a salary from the municipality.

Makhura was also accused of failing to provide documents to support the expenditure of R32million that went missing from the municipality two years ago.

The auditor-general had requested the documents from Makhura, in his capacity as accounting officer, to determine what the money was used for.

But Makhura had failed to produce the required documents, resulting in the Limpopo legislature opening a case against him.

According to the AG's report the money was unaccounted for and Makhura had to be punished for it. He recommended to the legislature that a case be opened against him.

Last week the municipality failed to pay its employees on time, resulting in some of them failing to pay their debts.

More than 140 employees were affected by the non-payment.

But the payment issue was resolved two days later after what the municipality described as a technical problem with its financial system.

ACDP councillor in the municipality Solomon Maboya said they were disappointed at Makhura's departure. They claimed he was a victim of circumstances.

"Makhura was a hard worker. The municipality has lost a committed person in him, but there's nothing we can do because he left voluntarily," Maboya said.

Approached for comment yesterday, Makhura confirmed he had left the municipality and that he was exploring other avenues in his career.

"Life is too short and full of surprises. I just felt it was time for me to leave and give other people a chance to occupy the position," he said.

Municipal spokesperson Nhlanhla Mashele confirmed that the two parties had parted ways "amicably".