Montjane defends tennis title

SOUTH Africa's No 1 woman wheelchair tennis player, Kgothatso Montjane, wants to make a habit of starting the year by winning a major competition.

SOUTH Africa's No 1 woman wheelchair tennis player, Kgothatso Montjane, wants to make a habit of starting the year by winning a major competition.

Montjane, who lives in Pretoria but is from Seshego in Polokwane, is preparing to successfully defend the Wheelchair Tennis South Africa title in Port Elizabeth next month.

Sponsored by the Airports Company of South Africa, the Border Open 2010 Tournament will be held in the Friendly City from March 31 to April 1. Montjane, 23, a sports law student at the University of Pretoria, won the same tournament - which attracts top foreign players - in East London last year.

"I have been training hard and I'm fired up to start 2010 on a high by winning this tournament," Montjane said.

Besides the popular Montjane, other top South African women players include Nancy Moremi and Refilwe Mooketsi.

Top South African male players who will compete in Port Elizabeth include Sidwell Mathonsi, Desmond Monyamane, Evans Maripa and Project Selepe.

Wheelchair Tennis SA's boss, Karen Losch, said they were expecting more than 100 players to take part in the competition.

"The tournament is growing in leaps and bounds and the interest from the foreign tennis players is incredible. We appreciate their support," Losch said.

"We have players coming from Zimbabwe, Australia and New Zealand and we expect other foreign players."

After the Port Elizabeth tournament, the South African Open will take place in Johannesburg from April 6 to 10, followed by the Mpumalanga Open from June 13 to 17.

It will be followed by the Limpopo Open in Polokwane from June 19 to 23, with the Pretoria Open scheduled for September 25 to 29.

The last event will be the Free State Open from December 12 to 16.

X