MEC demands probe after fatal school trip
LIMPOPO education MEC Namane Masemola has demanded a full report on the school trip that resulted in the death of two pupils in a road accident.
The accident happened in Mogodi village near Lebowakgomo on Friday.
The pupils, from the Masheanyane Secondary School in GaMathabatha village, were on a sports excursion to Bloemfontein for a fun day with pupils of Namahale.
According to department policy schools are not permitted to undertake trips during this time of the year because final exams take place in a few weeks' time.
But teaching staff at the school are said to have defied the ruling.
The accident occurred after the driver of the bus in which the pupils were travelling lost control of the vehicle and it overturned.
Six pupils were admitted to the Lebowakgomo Hospital. A total of 45 were treated and discharged and 30 were transferred to nearby hospitals.
There were reportedly 88 pupils on the bus that can carry 102 passengers.
Masemola, who spoke to Sowetan yesterday while visiting those admitted to Lebowakgomo Hospital, said he was waiting for a full report from the senior district manager to explainwhy he allowed the school to undertake the trip.
Police spokesperson Inspector Manong Tshehla said a case of culpable homicide had been opened.