BABY DIES IN FIRE

IN AN incident that sent shock-waves throughout the community a two-year-old baby burnt to death when a house in which she was sleeping caught fire in Musina yesterday.

IN AN incident that sent shock-waves throughout the community a two-year-old baby burnt to death when a house in which she was sleeping caught fire in Musina yesterday.

The grandmother of the baby was admitted to the Musina Hospital for third degree burns to her legs, which she sustained while trying to retrieve the baby from the raging fire.

The incident took place in Nancefield at about 6pm while the mother of the baby, Fhatuwane Rafuma, had gone to town.

Neighbour Portia Dambiwa said she was in the vicinity when she saw smoke coming from the house.

"Suddenly there was a fire," she said. "I called the baby's grandmother, who was sitting outside by a fire.

"She rushed into the house but the fire had already spread.

"The granny tried to pour water over the fire but it was out of control," Dambiwa said yesterday.

"Despite the flames growing bigger the granny threw herself into the fire and tried to run into the room where the baby was sleeping.

"But she burnt her legs and had to turn back quickly.

"By that time the baby was crying helplessly," she said.

The police said a case of arson was being investigated. According to information the baby's granny had lit a candle before going t outside to sit by the fire.

The candle set curtains on fire and the house was eventually completely burnt down.

X