Chilembe ready to take on Otieno

ISAAC "Golden Boy" Chilembe has promised to make up for his below-par performance against David Kitooke when he defends the WBO Africa light heavyweight title against Douglas "Al Capone" Otieno on September 15.

ISAAC "Golden Boy" Chilembe has promised to make up for his below-par performance against David Kitooke when he defends the WBO Africa light heavyweight title against Douglas "Al Capone" Otieno on September 15.

Chilembe was far from his best in the June fight against Kitooke that was presented by Golden Gloves at Graceland Casino in Secunda. But he managed to win the title on points.

He promised at a press briefing on Tuesday that fight fans will see the best of him on September 15. Chilembe was at Emperors Palace in Kempton Park to publicise his title defence that will be presented by promoter Rodney Berman at the venue, where Chilembe has chalked up nine of his 13 wins. Chilembe, 22, a charming and superbly built fighter, said his poor performance against Kitooke was caused by the late change of opponent.

He was supposed to fight Otieno but the Kenyan could not get a visa in time.

Golden Gloves' tournament coordinator Shona MacTaggart moved swiftly to avoid cancellation of the bout, and signed Kitooke from Uganda, who fights out of Harold Volbrecht's gym, two weeks before the date.

"There was a lot going on in my mind and that included changing tactics," said Chilembe, who had just joined trainer Colin Nathan from Nick Durandt.

"I am okay and better prepared this time. I will show who I really am." His last appearance at Emperors Palace was in September last year when he beat Charles Adamu on points for the ABU super middleweight belt.

X