Fire guts family home

A SOWETO family must face a harsh winter after their home in Mzimhlophe hostel in Meadowlands was gutted by fire on Friday.

A SOWETO family must face a harsh winter after their home in Mzimhlophe hostel in Meadowlands was gutted by fire on Friday.

The family of 10 shared a two-bedroom house at the hostel's family unit and have now lost everything.

"I still cannot believe it. Not only have we have lost everything but we do not have a place to sleep this cold winter," Bongiwe Mchunu said.

"We have also lost our identity documents and the children's birth certificates."

Mchunu said she does not know how the fire started "because no one was at home" when it began.

Community leader Matthew Skhosana has pleaded with local people to assist the family.

X