MENInGITIS fears allayed
Schooling is expected to resume today at Mondeor High School following an outbreak of meningistis there last week.
A 15-year-old girl at the school died of bacterial meningitis last Monday.
Gauteng education department spokesperson Nanagolo Leopeng, pictured, said yesterday: "The situation has been contained and a teacher and four students have tested negative for the disease. There are two more results that must be received to ensure that they are out of danger."
The department of health has tested 600 pupils, staff and school committee members as well as 15 children and a driver who had travelled in a taxi with the victim.
They were also given prophylaxis tablets, after their parents signed consent forms, and were lectured on the disease.
Medicine was dispensed and a teacher and four pupils were admitted to hospital, but subsequent tests cleared them, said health spokesman Phumelele Kaunda.