Driver dies under massive boulder

Canaan Mdletshe

Canaan Mdletshe

A 43-year-old man, Jabulani Dhlamini, was killed yesterday when a gigantic rock landed on top of his car, killing him instantly.

He was driving in the mountainous Nkonkoni area between Louwsberg and Pongola, northern Zululand, when the accident occurred.

Police spokesman Captain Vusi Mbatha said they believe Dhlamini died in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Mbatha attributed the incident to heavy rains that have poured throughout KwaZulu-Natal from Tuesday night.

Rains were reported all over the province from Tuesday afternoon up to late yesterday.

"The deceased was alone in the car. Nobody is sure of when exactly the incident happened, but police found him dead inside his car in the morning.

A breakdown truck had to be used to remove the gigantic rock on top of the car as it was too large to be removed by traffic officers.

"He must have suffered a painful death," said Mbatha.

Motorists had to be diverted and urged not to use the R33 route near Dundee after several cars got stuck on an overflowing bridge.

Nonkululeko Mbatha, the spokesman for the provincial department of transport, said they had to stop all vehicles using the roadway because of high water levels.

"We can't risk having motorists being swept away because we don't even know how high the water level is," Mbatha said.

She said in another vehicle crash, a truck scattered hundreds of boxes of soap across the N3 freeway near Pietermaritzburg.

She said the truck driver lost control of the vehicle on the north-bound carriageway, causing it to overturn.

"There was a huge traffic backlog and all motorists had to be diverted on to the R103 route.

"Wet, slippery roads were believed to have contributed to the accident," said Mbatha.

In a separate incident, four school pupils had to be taken to hospitals after a bakkie ploughed through Howick's Carolina Secondary School fence and struck them.

ER24 spokesman Derrick Banks said several pupils were playing in the school yard when the driver lost control of the bakkie.

"Two pupils were seriously injured and taken to Grey's Hospital while another two were taken to Howick Private Hospital.

The driver of the bakkie was not injured," said Banks.