ISRAEL BANS JOURNALISTS

DEADLY STRIKES: Smoke caused by explosions rises in the Gaza Strip yesterday. 05/01/2009. © AP Photo: Pic. Ariel Schalit
DEADLY STRIKES: Smoke caused by explosions rises in the Gaza Strip yesterday. 05/01/2009. © AP Photo: Pic. Ariel Schalit

TEL AVIV - Israel's ministry of defence yesterday refused to allow foreign correspondents to cross from Israel into the Gaza Strip despite a court ruling, a representative of the foreign media in Israel said.

TEL AVIV - Israel's ministry of defence yesterday refused to allow foreign correspondents to cross from Israel into the Gaza Strip despite a court ruling, a representative of the foreign media in Israel said.

The Israeli supreme court ruled last week that 18 foreign correspondents could enter the Strip when the Gaza crossings were open to allow humanitarian relief.

But Israeli officials, citing security risks, prevented the journalists from entering the Strip when the crossings were open to allow 200 foreigners to leave the salient.

Israel has allowed no foreign correspondents to enter the Strip from Israel since it began its operation against Hamas on December 27.

The Israel Foreign Press Association petitioned the court and Israel agreed to allow eight journalists into the Strip when the crossings were opened.

Meanwhile, Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero yesterday warned Israel that its actions in the conflict with the Palestinians were not the way to peace and security.

He said Spain rejected the "irresponsible and provocative" ruptures of the ceasefire, as well as "disproportionate" reactions that violated international law. - Sapa-DPA

X