Family waiting to bury alleged rapist
The family of self-confessed child rapist Paul Mokgomane Mofokeng says they are still waiting for the postmortem has been done before they can bury him.
Mofokeng, 26, allegedly committed suicide at Johannesburg Prison last week. He allegedly used his shoelaces to hang himself.
His cousin, George Tokwe, said: "I am not sure when the burial will be. His father came and said he wanted to bury him in KwaZulu-Natal."
Tokwe said the family went to the Hillbrow mortuary in Johannesburg on Thursday to identify Mofokeng's body. His mother was expected to arrive from Lesotho on Monday.
Mofokeng was expected to make an appearance at the Protea magistrate's court yesterday on a charge of escaping from lawful custody.
He was rearrested in Pretoria after 52 days on the run, when he was stopped by police and was found in possession of an unlicensed firearm.
Mofokeng escaped from the Protea court's holding cells on November 14 - allegedly with the help of the police. Charges against two officers have since been dropped, but an internal investigation is in progress.
He vanished from the cells after appearing on rape and kidnap charges. He allegedly abducted and repeatedly raped a six-year-old Mofolo, Soweto girl in August.
He confessed to the charges.
Mofokeng also had housebreaking charges pending against him.