HIV disclosure leads to boyfriend stabbing woman to death

Sipho Masombuka

Sipho Masombuka

Six hours after ringing in the New Year, Violet Ranton lay bleeding to death on the floor of her boyfriend's room in Atteridgeville, Pretoria.

She had been stabbed several times in the neck and chest. An argument had ensued between her and her boyfriend of two years, Vincent Nkosi, 26, when she told him she was HIV positive, according to the police.

Now Nkosi is on the run and the police are looking for him

Police spokesman Captain Thomas Mufamadi said they found a note in the room. In it, Nkosi says Ranton had told him she was HIV positive.

"It seems the deceased revealed this [her HIV status] during a heated argument which led to her boyfriend stabbing her in a fit of rage.

"We called the suspect and he promised to come [to the station] at 11am [yesterday] but he did not come. We have opened a murder docket," said Mufamadi.

Nkosi's shocked mother Rhoda Maluleke said the family was relaxing in the lounge after ushering in the new year when they heard a heated argument between the two.

"I knocked on the door and ordered him to open but he refused. I left and returned 10 minutes later. They were still arguing loudly, but still he would not open the door.

"I left again and when I went back for the third time, a relative told me that she had seen my son jumping over the fence into our neighbour's yard.

"I called him on his cellphone and he said he was around. I asked him if he was with his girlfriend and he said he had locked her in his room before hanging up," said Maluleke.

She called her son again and demanded that he came back home. That is when he told her that he had killed Ranton.

"He said: 'Mama, I have stabbed Violet and I think she is dead'. I told him to come back because I was going to call the police and he said he would come, but he never did."

Ranton's mother, Anna Ranton, said she last saw her daughter on Monday afternoon when she went home to change her clothes.

"She was with Vincent and they said they were going to celebrate New Year's day together.

"I received a call from Vincent just after midnight wishing me a happy New Year.

"Six hours later, I received a call from the police telling me to come to Vincent's home.

"When I arrived, I saw my daughter lying in a pool of blood on the floor of Vincent's room."

Police said after killing his girlfriend, Nkosi tried to hang himself but abandoned the suicide attempt when he realised the cable he had was too short.