Pupil shoots herself after failing twice and elsewhere a mother burns her daughter with hot water after disappointing results

Victor Hlungwani

Victor Hlungwani

Failing matric for the second time forced a Limpopo girl to take her own life.

The 18-year-old pupil of the John Mbhendhle High School at Shihosani village, near Malamulele, shot herself dead on learning that she had fared badly in the matric examinations.

The deceased has been identified as Kaya Mavasa of Mdabula village.

It is alleged that she shot herself on Friday morning using her uncle's firearm after receiving a call from her brother who broke the sad news to her.

Police spokesman Superintendent Mohale Ramatseba said Kaya's uncle, who is a well-known businessman in the area, had gone to the local headman to report a case of robbery that had taken place the previous night when he learnt of his niece's death.

Kaya had lived with him and is wife for four years.

Phineas Khosa, 83, told Sowetan yesterday: "I always put my gun in a safe place and news that my niece had shot and killed herself with my gun came as a complete surprise to me."

The elderly businessman said he thought the firearm was still locked in its safe.

"On my way back to home I heard people crying in my yard and started asking myself what had really happened - only to be met by such an unfortunate incident," Khosa said.

Ramatseba said yesterday: "We call on parents to instil a sense of self-belief in their children during these trying times because failing matric is really not the end of the world."

He said the police had opened an inquest docket.

l Meanwhile, Sapa reports that an Eastern Cape woman, who burnt her daughter with hot water after disappointing matric results, has been arrested.

Port Elizabeth police Captain Verna Brink said yesterday that the woman was in police custody and was due to appear in the Gelvandale magistrates' court today.

The mother had checked her 16-year-old daughter's matric results in the local newspaper on Friday and found that the matriculant had failed.

When her daughter arrived back home after allegedly having disappeared with her "sugar-daddy" for some days, the woman snapped and threw hot water at her.

Brink said the girl sustained minor burns and was discharged from hospital.