They think by getting me out of the way the investigation will stop. It will not stop

Ido Lekota

Ido Lekota

Ekurhuleni Metro Police Chief Robert McBride has accused the three suspended Metro policemen who were granted a court order against him of trying to undermine investigations against them.

The officers are being investigated for being involved in criminal activities.

The criminal activities that Chief Superintendent Stanley Segathevan, Patrick Johnston and Itumeleng Koko are allegedly involved in, include armed robbery, use of stolen vehicles, fraud and corruption, McBride said.

"They think by getting me out of the way the probe will stop. It will not stop."

He also denied the counter-allegations by the officers that he was harassing them because they found out that he was involved in cash heists

"If I am involved in any criminal activities let the state charge me," said McBride.

He also revealed that investigations have shown that Johnston had destroyed the docket of a case involving his son who is also a policeman.

Johnston junior was arrested in 2005 for armed robbery after he, and a group of his friends, allegedly robbed and stole R1million worth of copper cables from a factory in Benoni.

They allegedly used a police vehicle for the mission.

Johnston junior was arrested after he was identified during an identity parade by the security guards who were working at the factory.

The case was quashed in January this year after the docket went missing. Johnston junior is still employed as a police officer.

Yesterday, McBride also accused Johnston of having tried to have the central processing unit (CPU) from his computer removed after his suspension.

Some of the information found in the CPU revealed that Johnston had constant contact with a well-known cash heist kingpin, claimed the Metro chief.

He said the officers "especially Segathevan" were helpful when he arrived as the Metro chief in Ekurhuleni.

The officers, McBride said, used the relationship with him to become "untouchables".

McBride also insisted that he was not drunk on December 21 when he crashed his state-owned car.

This week affidavits made by the three suspended officers to the National Prosecuting Authority alleging that McBride was indeed drunk were leaked to the media.

In the affidavits the officers claim that McBride drank Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels at a staff party held at Hartbeespoort Dam.

The officers also claimed that they removed a "not sober" McBride from the accident scene and took him to several doctors to obtain a fake medical certificate.

The officers said they made a statement clearing McBride because they were intimidated.

McBride dismissed the officers allegations insisting that he had a medically induced blackout after taking strong anti-diabetic medication. This led to temporary loss of memory.

He said a Durban specialist confirmed that his condition was indeed induced by the medication.

McBride said he welcomed the court order granted to the suspended officers by the Johannesburg high court on Wednesday prohibiting him and five other Metro officers from harassing them.

The three suspended officer yesterday referred Sowetan queries about McBride's allegations to their lawyer Saleem Ebrahim. Ebrahim did not comment on the matter.