Wife in narrow escape

Sne Masuku and Canaan Mdletshe

Sne Masuku and Canaan Mdletshe

The wife of a Pinetown taxi owner, who saw her husband die after he was shot on Monday, says she is lucky to be alive.

Jabulani Sithole, 46, a taxi owner and public relations officer for the Amaoti Taxi Association, died in hospital shortly after he was shot by unknown gunmen while driving late on Monday afternoon.

Sithole was rushed to the nearby RK Khan Hospital, where he later died while doctors tried to remove the bullets. His wife, Thabile Kunene, who was in the passenger seat, said her husband had picked her up from work.

She said that while driving home occupants of a silver-grey Polo had started firing at them when overtaking their car.

"I closed my eyes and tried to hide from the bullets. My husband was hurt. He managed to drive for a reasonable distance after the gunmen fled and we stopped," said the distraught wife.

Neighbours who heard the gunshots called police and paramedics.

Police spokesman Debbie O'Brien said: "A case of murder is being investigated. No one has been arrested. We suspect this is linked to the taxi violence which has claimed the lives of several taxi owners in the Amaoti area."

ER 24 paramedics attended to Sithole at the scene and he was rushed to hospital in a serious but stable condition. He died shortly after being admitted.

l Meanwhile, a woman has been arrested for trying to offer Metro police a R40000 bribe for the release of her associate, who had been arrested at Chatsworth south of Durban yesterday.

Senior Superintendent Thozamile Tyala of the eThekwini Metro police said police raided a house in Chatsworth and found drugs valued at R18000.

"Mandrax to the value of R16000 and cocaine with a street value of R2000 was discovered during the raid. A man was arrested," said Tyala.

He said after the arrest, a female associate arrived at the police station and offered police R40000 to release the man and she was arrested on the spot.

"We are not sure if she had the money on her at the time she made the offer, but she was arrested and will be charged for bribing police," said Tyala.