Father satisfied by denial of bail in fiery cash-heist trial

The father of one of the four security guards who died after robbers allegedly torched their car during an attempted cash heist in Limpopo last year has expressed his satisfaction about the court proceedings of the case.

The father of one of the four security guards who died after robbers allegedly torched their car during an attempted cash heist in Limpopo last year has expressed his satisfaction about the court proceedings of the case.

Two of the nine suspects arrested in connection with the murder of the guards in September were denied bail in the Mokopane regional court on Thursday and the case was postponed to April 25.

Jeremiah Malete, 54-year-old father of Marcus Malete, said he was satisfied that some of the suspects had been refused bail.

"Though there is no amount of effort that can bring my son's life back, I am at least relieved that the suspects have been denied bail.

"This will afford the police ample time to investigate the matter fully," he said.

Malete, from GaMatlala near Polokwane, said his son's killers had inflicted a lot of pain on the family.

Marcus Malete, 25, died with three of his colleagues after the suspects allegedly forced their vehicle off the road. The security vehicle landed on its sliding-door side, making it impossible for the suspects to steal the money in the vehicle.

Emmanuel Tshepo Malebo, 34, Molefe Jose Malebese, 47, Alpheus Msiza, 30, Kenneth Moitshela, 35, Lawrence Pheladi Mabitsela, 26, Wilson Malesela Manaka, 36, and Angolan nationals Antonio Ndala, 40, Manuel Baros, 36, and Asser Ndjamba, 35, were arrested for the crime.

Police said they were still looking for eleven more suspects. - Frank Maponya

X