Wrecked coast picks itself up
Businesses and homeowners along KwaZulu-Natal beaches continued mop up operations yesterday after tidal waves of up to 7m had battered the coastline on Monday.
Tourism authorities believe the plush north coast holiday resort of Ballito has been the hardest hit and it will remain closed to tourists for the next four weeks.
Swimming on all beaches in the province has been banned until further damage assessment has been completed because the sea is full of debris and shark nets have been washed away.
Yesterday Durban's beachfront was starting to get back on its feet with some sunbathers, but no swimmers, venturing on to the beaches and shop owners working to repair damaged properties. Graders were used to remove the rocks and sand that had washed up on the promenade.
North of the city the defence force had been called in to help engineers to rebuild roads and clear uprooted trees.
KwaZulu-Natal Tourism spokesman, Phindile Magwagwa, said the situation should not discourage visitors to the province.
"We are assessing the situation. We are certainly on track to make sure that the beachfront in Durban and Ballito is open for business as usual in time for the Easter weekend," he said.
Neil Noble, of the South African National Medical Care Network who rescued several people who were injured when the monster waves struck the coastline, said all was calm throughout the province yesterday.
"Locals have been warned to stay away from the waters because the sea is full of dangerous debris. The water is murky and sharks could be anywhere," he said.