Nineteen bus crash victims laid to rest

Nineteen victims of a horrific crash involving two buses in Limpopo last month were buried in a mass funeral attended by Premier Sello Moloto and several MECs yesterday.

Nineteen victims of a horrific crash involving two buses in Limpopo last month were buried in a mass funeral attended by Premier Sello Moloto and several MECs yesterday.

Thousands of mourners from across the country came to pay their last respects at the funeral service held at the Rabali Stadium in Nzhelele, outside Thohoyandou.

Several relatives and friends collapsed during the emotionally charged burial and were treated at mobile clinics arranged by the Limpopo Department of Health and Social Development.

The clinics were operated by nurses and emergency personnel.

Moloto said that though those who lost their lives would be sorely missed by all who knew them, their families needed support from churches and the community at large.

The premier also pleaded with animal owners to keep them away from the main roads because of the accidents they cause.

He said wire theft had left many roads without fences, which heightened the possibility of animals straying on to roads.

The accident that claimed the lives of those being buried was apparently caused by one of the drivers swerving to miss a donkey that had strayed on to the road.

The accident happened on February 19 at 5.30am. The two buses collided head on.

The buses, owned by Enos and Mabirimisa, were carrying workers from areas in and around Nzhelele, outside Thohoyandou.

X