Masheane's theatre doccie kicked by rugby

GUTTED: Napo Masheane PHOTO: Moeketsi Moticoe
GUTTED: Napo Masheane PHOTO: Moeketsi Moticoe

Poet and actress Napo Masheane was left with egg on her face when SABC2 didn't show her documentary as scheduled on Sunday night.

Ditshomo tells the story of South African theatre and is produced by Masheane and directed by Nhlanhla Mthethwa.

It should have featured at 9pm. Instead the channel showed a documentary about rugby.

Ditshomo features interviews with theatre icons such as Athol Fugard, Gibson Kente, Aubrey Sekhabi, Paul Grootboom, William Kentridge, Jerry Mofokeng, Welcome Msomi, Desmond Dube, Seputla Sebogodi and Lindiwe Matshikiza.

The two had been pumping the show on social networks, urging people to watch it. When it was not flighted Masheane and Mthethwa both had to apologise to fans and followers on social media.

Masheane posted on Facebook: "Dear all so sorry and thousands apologies... Someone decided to put the wrong tape clearly... we are so disappointed."

Mthethwa told Sowetan that yesterday afternoon he was still waiting for answers from the channel.

"I was so angry and disappointed. I called the commissioning editor immediately but he did not have a clue on why our documentary was not flighted.

"They even failed to run a strip to apologise to the viewers."

 

Sowetan contacted SABC2 publicist Lebo Malete who apologised and said: "Due to a technical error the channel ended up playing the wrong documentary instead of Ditshomo . We will advise on the new date for the show."

bambalelep@sowetan.co.za

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.