Charity cup has to cut recipients

THERE could be a significant drop in the number of beneficiaries of the Telkom Charity Cup this year.

THERE could be a significant drop in the number of beneficiaries of the Telkom Charity Cup this year.

Cup Charity Trust chairperson Leepile Taunyane said yesterday that the increase in the number of beneficiaries had resulted in most of them getting less money. The veteran administrator, who is also PSL life president, said they would target 50 charitable organisations this year.

"We had between 70 and 80 beneficiaries last year and that means they got so little money. We are considering cutting the number to about 50 so they can get more money. They could perhaps each get between R100000 to R120000," said Taunyane, who said they hoped to raise R5million.

Last year, he said, they managed to raise R3,8 million. The tournament, which is the traditional season-opener, returns to Soccer City on August 7. Last year it was staged at Royal Bafokeng where Orlando Pirates were crowned the champions after beating Platinum Stars on penalties. However, the Cup failed to attract an impressive crowd.

The tournament will be launched in Johannesburg tomorrow.

"We urge people to vote in numbers to help us help the needy. The tournament sets the tone for the new season," Taunyane said.

The clubs that qualify for the Cup use the event to showcase their new signings.

Pirates will be hoping to show off prized recruit Daine Klate, who was signed from three-time Absa Premiership champions SuperSport United. Kaizer Chiefs, who always compete in this season-opener, will want to showcase Sthembiso Ngcobo, snapped up from Free State Stars.

X