Injured boy (9) gets R3m
A Johannesburg family has been awarded a R3million settlement by the Road Accident Fund (RAF), after their son, then six, was ran over by a car two years ago.
Bongani Khumalo, who is now nine, suffered permanent mental and physical disability as a result of the accident.
On Thursday last week the Johannesburg high court approved an out-of-court settlement reached between Khumalo's legal counsel, De Broglio Attorneys and RAF.
The order by deputy judge president Phineas Mojapelo will also cover medical expenses incurred since November 2006. It will also compensate for general damages for pain, suffering and loss of the amenities of life, and for the child's projected future loss of income.
Bongani's father, Thula Khumalo said: "We are relieved that the matter has been settled.
"Of course it will never compensate for what my son has been through, but at least now we can bring some closure."
The court order also includes an undertaking that the defendant will pay for all Bongani's future medical treatment, including prosthetic limbs, remedial education, occupational therapy, psychotherapy and a caregiver, all of which could cost another R1million.
Bongani was walking home from school in the south of Johannesburg with his caregiver and younger brother when he was hit by a car. A vehicle allegedly skipped a red traffic light and collided with another car. One of the drivers lost control of their vehicle and ran over the boy.
The woman who caused the accident was convicted of reckless and negligent driving.
The R3million sum will be placed in a trust fund, part of which his parents intend to use to enrol him in a private school where he can receive special, individualised attention.
Khumalo said: "My boy has met 'Blade Runner' Oscar Pistorius and looks up to him as a role model."