Police arrest alleged axe murderer
Mpumalanga police have arrested a man believed to be the axe-wielding killer who has terrorised the KaNyamazane township for the past six months.
The man is suspected of being responsible for a spate of axe attacks in the township that have left two people dead and three injured.
The latest victim Bongani Sithole, 35, a prison warder, was hacked to death on March 31 while sleeping in his house.
Sithole's skull was split open and some of his valuables were stolen.
KaNyamazane police spokesman Constable Chicco Nkosi said the police had arrested a suspect who had been found in possession of items stolen from Sithole's house on the night of the attack.
"We are investigating if the man is linked to the warder's murder and the previous axe attacks in the township," Nkosi said yesterday.
Police said the first axe attack report came in October last year and there had been at least five more attacks since then.
Nkosi said all the victims heads' were hacked open with a similar object, believed to be an axe.
The suspect is to appear in the KaNyamazane magistrates' court today.