Mzwakhe Mbuli wants his name cleared

Picture credit: Veli Nhlapo.
Picture credit: Veli Nhlapo.

Mzwakhe Mbuli has given Power FM presenter Thabiso Mosia seven days to retract his accusations that Mbuli is a fraudster.

Mbuli, was fingered by Mosia in a series of tweets that he "scammed" late kwaito star Mandoza's family in the run-up to his funeral last year.

Mosia tweeted that Mbuli offered to organise sound, food and a venue for Mandoza's funeral and, in the process, scammed the family of thousands of rands.

Mosia said Mbuli did this at most celebrity funerals.

"Part of the scam. They ask the family how they can help [venue hire, food, transport, sound]. They then go to ministers/MECs to ask for the $$. The Ministers/MEC then give them the $$$. But they keep most of it and pretend they didn't get enough. Family then must start all over again.

"Mzwakhe wanted 70k to organise sound for MDZ funeral. We [fam] said no cos @ArthurMafokate was offering his sound for free. Mzwakhe threw a fit," Mosia said in a series of tweets.

Mbuli has since denied the claim. In a letter from Mafenya Attorneys Inc, Mbuli has claimed he was defamed.

"We act on behalf of Mr Mzwakhe Mbuli. It has been brought to his attention through the public media - social media, national newspapers and other electronic and broadcast media platforms that you allege that our client is 'a scamster'," read the letter in part.

"We view the above unsubstantiated and malicious allegations in serious light and reserve our right to approach a competent court of law to test [these allegations] given the public stature of our client and the violation of his rights, and bringing his good name to disrepute.

"You have seven days upon receipt of this correspondence to retract your comments," the undated letter continued.

Mosia had not responded to questions at the time of going to print yesterday. However, on Thursday, he tweeted from the UK: "I do however stand by every single word I tweeted izolo [yesterday].

X