Domestic murders up in Limpopo

Frank Maponya

Frank Maponya

Cases in which domestic squabbles end in the deaths of family members in Giyani in Limpopo are on the increase.

The latest tragedy happened in Mphagani village outside Giyani on Tuesday night.

A 60-year-old woman, Modjadji Maswanganyi, was allegedly attacked with a pick by her own son.

The vicious attack took place at the family's home. The elderly woman died from injuries to her head and body.

It is not known what the motive for the attack was. Police are still investigating.

Maswanganyi's son, 23, has been arrested and is expected to appear in the Giyani magistrate's court charged with murder.

Spokesman for the Giyani police Superintendent Moatshe Ngoepe said yesterday it was "sickening" to learn of the incidents in which people were killed by their own close relatives.

"Police are really worried about the escalating number of people who fall victim to their own blood," Ngoepe said.

"This goes to show that there is a serious lack of moral fibre in our society. We are really living in a sick world," Ngoepe added.

According to preliminary police investigations, Maswanganyi's son, who may not be named pending his court appearance today, is a mental patient.

But this could only be confirmed after he had undergone psychiatric evaluation, said Ngoepe.

"We call on communities to intervene to help families with domestic problems," he said.

Ngoepe warned the public against taking the law into their own hands, "because that will not be the solution".

"People should rather seek professional help to solve your problems," he advised.

The latest family killing comes hot on the heels of another in Ndhambi village where William Mabunda, 42, died after allegedly being attacked with an assortment of objects by his wife, son and the son's friend last week.

Parasina Mabunda, 38, allegedly ganged up with her son, Aaron Mathebula, and his friend, Eleck Mokwakwa, to murder her husband on Sunday last week. Mokwakwa also allegedly lied about his age, presumably to escape a harsher sentence.

They were granted bail of R2000 each and are expected to appear again on September 21.