Whistleblower is paid not to go to work

NO SOLUTION: George Maduna. Pic. Mohau Mofokeng. 18/12/2006. © Sowetan.
NO SOLUTION: George Maduna. Pic. Mohau Mofokeng. 18/12/2006. © Sowetan.

Thembela Khamango

Thembela Khamango

After blowing the whistle on "dirty tricks" by Coin Security, George Maduna is being paid a full salary to sit at home.

Maduna walked out of two days of detention by the police following a heist at a Coin depot in Modderfontein in November.

He had severe wounds and bruises all over his body.

Instead of receiving sympathy from the company and police, Maduna and three co-security guards were treated as suspects in the heist in the depot on November 11. He laid charges against the police but to date nothing has happened.

Instead, Coin has instituted a disciplinary hearing against him after he revealed to Sowetan how he was treated. The company seems in no hurry to conclude the hearing.

Maduna and his three partners also said at the time that blacks were subjected to severe interrogation after being robbed while whites were treated with kid gloves.

Yesterday, police spokesman Director Govindsamy Mariemuthoo said "the last time I checked police were still investigating".

Meanwhile, Maduna is wondering whether he will get his job back.

Maduna appeared before the security company's disciplinary team several times. His last hearing was postponed to early January because they wanted this reporter to testify against him.

In what seems to be an attempt by the company to buy time while they decide what to do, Maduna has not heard a word from them.

"I called my union representative on Wednesday to check whether they had informed him of the hearing date but he said they have not said a word to him," said Maduna yesterday.

Sandile July, a labour attorney, said Maduna could challenge the disciplinary hearing on the basis that the suspension period was unfair.

Coin's spokesman Anke Potgieter promised to respond to Sowetan but she had not when we went to press not.