SA boxers eye world bouts

The on-off IBF junior bantamweight title eliminator between Siphiwo Nongqayi and Mexican Francisco Arce has finally been set for February 28 in Toluca, Mexico.

The on-off IBF junior bantamweight title eliminator between Siphiwo Nongqayi and Mexican Francisco Arce has finally been set for February 28 in Toluca, Mexico.

Scheduled for November last year, the fight was postponed indefinitely when the WBF champion, Nongqayi could not secure a visa on time.

His fight against Arce, who is the younger brother to Jorge Arce, famous for destroying Nongqayi's stablemate Masibulele "Hawk" Makepula in four rounds in 2006, will his biggest fight ever.

Nongqayi's new promoter, Branco Milenkovic, said Mexican promoter Fernando Beltran's Zanfer Promotions has finally secured the date for the clash.

"I'm glad Nongqayi will finally get his opportunity to make good on his dream of challenging for a legitimate world title," Milenkovic said.

Interestingly, the winner of the Nongqayi (14-0, 6 KOs) and Arce (28-4-1, 19 KOs) bout will challenge the winner of IBF, WBA, WBC clash between Jorge and Australian Vic Darchinyan, who are scheduled to meet in the US on February 7.

Milenkovic also revealed that one of his charges, Vusi Malinga, will finally get a crack at WBC bantamweight champion Hozumi Hasegawa in Japan on March 12.

Malinga earned the right to challenge Hasegawa when he beat Thai legend Veeraphol Sahaprom in four rounds in June last year. Malinga has been patiently waiting to get his chance against Hasegawa, who beat his compatriot Simpiwe Vetyeka in 2006. - Sapa

X