Fire leaves Nyanga families homeless
MORE than 20 Cape Town families were left homeless on Sunday night, after a fire swept through the Lusaka informal settlement in Nyanga.
Nobody was injured but the 22 families, who share 11 shacks in the area, lost all their possessions. A shipping container was also burnt to the ground.
The cause of the fire is still a mystery. But victims said it started in a locked shack and they suspected a gas stove caused the fire.
Saddened fire victims said they didn't know what to do without their belongings.
"I received a call at 7pm while I was at work informing me that my shack had burnt down. I lost everything, including my baby's clothes.
"I am left with only the clothes I am wearing now," said Nosipho Vutuza, the mother of a 4-year-child.
Monde Madladla was asleep when the fire started.
"I saw smoke coming from my shack. I jumped up and ran out with a TV stand, chair and bed.
"All my other belongings got burnt because the fire engulfed my house very quickly," Madladla said
Shoemaker Amandla Mnyaka, owner of the shipping container, said he was anxious about his customers' shoes.
"I don't know how I am going to pay them back, but I will tell them what happened. I lost everything. My machines were burnt and I will have to buy another container," he said.
South African National Civic Organisation area committee member Lulamile Ngcane said the residents had asked ANC ward councillor Gladstone Ntamo for help.
But when contacted, Ntamo said he knew nothing about the fire.
"I am in a caucus meeting in Cape Town now and I have not received a report."
The city's public awareness manager , Charlotte Powell, said the housing department had provided the victims with starter kits to rebuild their dwellings.
She said the Mustadafin Foundation had taken hot meals, blankets, food parcels and clothing to victims.