The unified front between Caster Semenya's lawyers and government showed a crack on Thursday as the athlete released a statement that appeared to conflict with comments made by the Sports ministry a few days ago.
Semenya continues her fight with the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) at the Court of Arbitration for Sport's (CAS) in Lausanne on Friday but it is the statement that was released on her behalf by her lawyers on Thursday that raised a lot of eyebrows.
The 800m Olympic champion said in the statement released by her lawyers Norton Rose Fulbright Inc that she has no knowledge of how much government is going to contribute to her personal legal fees in the case against the IAAF.
The release added that a large portion of her legal fees is funded privately and through donors.
Government‚ on the hand hand‚ confirmed last week that they have budgeted about R25m for the entire challenge.
“Whilst I have no knowledge of what was paid by the government to its legal and medical team in respect of its own case‚ my personal representation has been funded mainly by private funders and the portion funded by the government is a small fraction of the amount that has been quoted‚” the statement said.
Sports Minister Tokozile Xasa's spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga told SowetanLIVE from Lausanne on Thursday afternoon that part of the R25-million that has been made available by government will go towards Semenya’s private lawyers and the breakdown will only be determined at a later stage.