Deputy minister of cooperative governance and traditional affairs Obed Bapela said in a statement in an unprecedented but necessary undertaking, that traditional initiation practices remain officially suspended in SA in a bid to mitigate against exposure and contraction of the Covid-19 virus.
“Since alert level 5 to alert level 1, the country remains in consensus and united that the need to save lives is sacrosanct. The process to suspend the initiation included broader consultations with various sectors across the country. We continue urging our leaders and communities to observe the suspension of initiation. We all have to educate communities about the dangers of coronavirus,” he said.
Inkosi Xhanti,Sigcawu, uncle of the late King Zwelonke, asked that everyone remain patient to avoid putting lives at risk.
“We are encouraging parents to speak to their children to be patient. We can’t go against government and we don’t want to compromise their lives,” he said.
According to the provincial department of health, 941 new cases were recorded in the Bay as of Friday. The province currently has 9,811 active cases.
The surge has added pressure to the already ailing hospital services in the region. Nelson Mandela Bay public hospitals ran out of ICU beds earlier in November.