Tue Sep 02 20:49:12 SAST 2014

South African wins world medal in checkers board game

By Sapa | Dec 20, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 8 ]

CLEVER GUY: South Africa’s Lubabalo Kondlo has clinched the silver medal in a global checkers competition, according to Mind Sports SA.

Kondlo, from Port Elizabeth, represented the country for the third time, competing in the checkers event at the second annual SportAccord World Mind Games in Beijing, China, which ended on Wednesday.

“Lubabalo Kondlo is one of the greatest checkers players that South Africa has ever produced,” said Mind Sports SA president Colin Webster.

“Having clawed his way up from just being a club player, Lubabalo is now a player who is highly respected both here at home as well as overseas.”

The tournament was won by American Alexander Moiseyev, the ’three-move’ world champion, and Michele Borghetti of Italy finished third behind Kondlo.

Ronald King of Barbados, the ’go-as-you-please’ world champion, finished fourth.

Checkers is a form of the board game draughts and is played on an eight-by-eight squared board with 12 pieces on each side.

Ok.....back to mangaung.Motlhante you are still my man and DA here i come.

Dec 20, 2012 10:54 | 0 replies

Well done Lubabalo
You learn something new every day. I certainly didn't know there was a checkers world championships!

Dec 20, 2012 10:58 | 0 replies

I wonder how well JG Zuma would have performed? Not anywhere similar to stick fighting, is it? I used to play that thing like there was a price to be got.

Dec 20, 2012 11:2 | 0 replies

LOL. Taxi drivers are good at this thing. I am sure they could grab all the medals.

Checkers club?

I used to be a very good player, if not the best at high school. Then I learned to play chess; I don't see myself playing checkers anymore.

Dec 20, 2012 12:6 | 0 replies

But which one is Lubabalo? The first guy on the left or the second guy on the right? It seems as if he is not even in the picture.

Congratulations bro. I hope no one is going to say congradulations.

Dec 20, 2012 12:12 | 0 replies

Champion ya Checkers? Ntho tse ding ke metlae fela

Dec 20, 2012 1:11 | 0 replies

Please good people comment on the topic and not what you want to comment on. It bothers on stupidity.

Dec 20, 2012 2:13 | 0 replies