ONE of two men accused of kidnapping the son of a wealthy Angolan is in the country illegally.
Fernando Jamba, 31, and Francisco Jose, 32, are charged with kidnapping five-year-old Samuel Amoes in Johannesburg last month. A ransom of more than R1million was paid for his release.
Yesterday, state prosecutor Fikile Hlabangana told the Johannesburg magistrate's court that Jamba, who had initially told the police he was from Angola, held travel documents that show he is from Mozambique.
The case was postponed to next Wednesday for a ruling on the two men's bail application.
Another man arrested in connection with Samuel's kidnapping, Domingo Santiego, 30, is out on bail of R5000.
He was charged with contravening the Prevention of Organised Crime Act, which relates to being in possession of money suspected to be the proceeds of a crime.
Santiego is accused of being in possession of US dollars believed to be part of the ransom paid for Samuel's release.