Sat Oct 22 21:42:17 SAST 2016

Crash victim gets support

By Luzuko Pongoma | May 31, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

HELP might be on the way for one of the victims of the Jub Jub accident.

HELP might be on the way for one of the victims of the Jub Jub accident.

The Road Accident Fund said it could assist Frank Mlambo with medical bills even before his claim has been finalised.

Frank, 17, cannot speak and doctors said that his head injuries left him with the mental capacity of a two-year-old.

This after he and five of his friends were hit by two cars in Protea Glen, Soweto, while they were returning from school.

The accident left four boys dead and hip-hop star Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye and his friend Themba Tshabalala stand accused of ploughing into the boys while drag racing.

RAF spokesperson Mandla Mvelase said: "We can issue Frank with an interim undertaking certificate so that for long as he needs medical assistance he gets it."

He said the certificate would mean that Frank was treated by doctors before his claim was finalised and the RAF would pay.

Mvelase said Frank's mother should go to their office at Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital or any of their offices for assistance.

"She should lodge a claim and if all the necessary documents are ready it will not take long for us to process it."

Mvelase said it was up to Mlambo's family whether or not to use legal representative when lodging a claim since they would have to pay for legal fees.

Frank's mother Martha, who was the sole breadwinner, had to quit her job to take care of him and the family has since then been struggling to make ends meet.

Gauteng department of social development spokesperson Mandla Sidu said the Mlambos should go to the nearest South African Social Security Agency office and apply for a grant.

He said Mlambo should also approach the social workers, who will determine if she qualifies for a food parcel from the department.

Meanwhile, the case against Maarohanye and Tshabalala was postponed in the Protea magistrate's court amid drama.

The families of the victims bayed for the accused's blood.

NPA spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said a few aspects of the investigation still had to be concluded.

He said when the case resumes on July 30 the state would be ready and a trial date would be set.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT