FORMER SABC head of content Mvuzo Mbebe has won round two of his battle against the public broadcaster to halt disciplinary action against him.
This after the labour court ruled on Monday that the SABC does not have the right to continue with the disciplinary hearing against him since he is no longer in their employ.
Mbebe and three other executives were suspended by the SABC in October last year pending an outcome of the internal disciplinary process arising from investigations conducted by the auditor-general and other parties.
Before the SABC had concluded their disciplinary process, Mbebe's contract expired on February 28.
Last week Mbebe's attorneys, Mncedisi Ndlovu and Sedumedi, stopped the disciplinary hearing that was scheduled for yesterday.
Mbebe's lawyers argued that the SABC had no grounds to discipline him because he was no longer its employee.
Nonkululeko Madalani, a spokesperson for the law firm, said the parties went to court after the SABC refused to agree to a draft court order that said the broadcaster would not continue with the disciplinary hearing.
"The SABC had insisted on the continuation of the disciplinary enquiry as currently constituted under the guise of an investigation. But we told them they could not carry over the disciplinary inquiry."
Madalani said the court issued an interim interdict that the SABC had no right to continue with the disciplinary hearing.
SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said that the public broadcaster would abide by the court ruling.