MICKEY Arthur resigned as South Africa coach because of a disagreement with the Cricket South Africa (CSA) board over the team's future, he said yesterday.
"Differences have arisen between the board and me on the way forward and I don't believe I can take the team forward in the present circumstances," Arthur told a news conference the day after his shock resignation ahead of an Indian tour.
"My vision of how to go forward with the team was clear, but the board's was different. I've always run a tight management and team, but the CSA board of directors want structural changes."
The 41-year-old had been in charge of the national team since May 2005 and his resignation on Tuesday has forced the Proteas to install Corrie van Zyl as interim coach for the upcoming two-Test and three one-day international tour of India.
CSA chief executive Gerald Majola said the major stumbling block between the board and Arthur was that the coach wanted to be in charge of appointing his support staff.
"In the last few years, the coach has been able to appoint his own staff, but after speaking to the players, the board felt changes were necessary," he said.
Majola added that after a successful 2008, when South Africa rose to the top of the Test and limited-overs rankings, the board was unhappy with the team's results last year.
Majola denied media speculation that Arthur had failed transformation targets in terms of selecting black players set by the CSA board.
"As far as we are concerned, he achieved his targets, which are measured over a period of time and not just over one Test."
South Africa captain Graeme Smith also denied reports that Arthur's resignation was due to a breakdown in their relationship.
Meanwhile, Majola announced that Van Zyl, Kepler Wessels and himself as convenor, would now be responsible for selection processes.
The previous selection panel with former international fast bowler Michael Procter as convenor, is therefore dismantled. - Reuters and Sapa