Sat Oct 22 15:36:48 SAST 2016


By Katlego Moeng | Sep 25, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

LEORNARD Chuene will not lose his job as Athletics South Africa president after admitting he had lied about gender tests performed on world 800m champion Caster Semenya, the federation's spokesperson said.

After a six-hour ASA council meeting behind closed doors at Mannah Lodge in Kempton Park yesterday, spokesperson Chris Britz said the council came out in full support of Chuene and reaffirmed its confidence in him.

"The meeting unanimously expressed confidence in the current ASA leadership.

"It also resolved that the ASA will participate and fully cooperate in any statutory commission of inquiry that might be instituted on this matter," Britz said in a prepared statement after the meeting.

Britz ignored questions and simply walked away after reading the statement.

The gathering was attended by delegates from ASA board, provincial associations, commissions and associate members, said Britz, adding that "all were given the opportunity to freely ask, discuss and debate the matters at hand".

The meeting was convened to decide on Chuene's fate.

Chuene admitted on Saturday that he had lied about not having any knowledge of gender tests conducted on Semenya before the world championships in Berlin.

Confronted with evidence he finally admitted at a press briefing that he had been advised by team doctor Harold Adams to withdraw Semenya from the championships last month.

Delegates leaving yesterday's meeting also refused to comment. They said Britz was the only person permitted to talk on the matter.

Before driving off some simply shouted: "Chuene is king. We are very happy with the decision."

Some delegates' car windows branded posters that read: "Hands off our president. One hundred percent Chuene."

At the same time, delegates attending Cosatu's 10th National General Congress called for an investigation into the Semenya saga.

The congress supported a proposal by Minister of Women, Youth, Children and People with Disabilities Noluthando Mayende-Sibiya for the two-million strong labour force to support Semenya.

"She is our own, she comes from the working class. She belongs to you Cosatu," Mayende-Sibiya said.

Semenya's team of lawyers have sent a letter to the IAAF asking the organisation to provide it with any medical records on medical testing that they might have.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT