THE beleaguered Durban school for children with special needs has now been dubbed racist by an angry parent.
Kenmont School in Bluff last Thursday got a court order confirming the expulsion of a 13-year-old boy for brandishing a knife in class.
Yesterday, the father of another boy at the school - it has a history of violent clashes between pupils - laid charges after his son was allegedly attacked by some of his white counterparts.
The man (his name is known to Sowetan) labelled the attack on his child as an "act of racism perpetuated by the school governing body".
He said it happened on Friday but was kept under wraps by the school.
He said his son was ordered to go home after the assault and "no disciplinary action was contemplated against his attackers".
"My son was attacked from behind. A boy grabbed him by his hand, punched him on the lip, causing him to bleed, while being attacked by another white boy who kicked and punched him."
He said his son was ordered home when he reported the assault to the principal while the boys who attacked are still at school and continuing with their lessons.
"I have opened a case of assault at Brighten Beach police station," he said.
Police confirmed that they are investigating the matter.
Late yesterday teachers said the child was due back at school.
The school made headlines last week when a was suspended in May after being captured on a closed-circuit TV camera brandishing a knife in the classroom. He was suspended immediately.
The incident involved a 13-year-old coloured pupil who has since been refused entry to the school.
The mother has written to the education department including, the Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga, in an attempt to have her child reinstated at the school.
The school obtained a court interdict last Thursday preventing the boy from returning.
The department of education is supporting the parent and will , together with the mother, appeal against the court's decision upholding the expulsion of her child.
The case will be back in court next week.
Umlazi district education director Mlu Ntombela was yesterday not available for comment and school representatives are not allowed to talk to the media.