Thu Oct 27 01:16:31 SAST 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

Durban market dispute talks to start

By Sne Masuku | Aug 28, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

THE dispute over the proposed relocation of the traders on Warwick Triangle in Durban to make way for the construction of a mall is over - for now.

THE dispute over the proposed relocation of the traders on Warwick Triangle in Durban to make way for the construction of a mall is over - for now.

Traders who attended a meeting to brief them about the findings and recommendations of the task team left the Inkosi Albert Luthuli Convention Centre clearly happy yesterday.

The traders said they were never against the development of the area but were unhappy over the lack of consultation by the municipality.

They felt the recommendations would create a win-win situation provided the municipality followed the recommendations religiously.

The task team recommended that the municipality, the traders and all parties involved should reopen negotiations and work towards one goal - to develop the area.

Trader Dudu Khuzwayo said she had not been consulted about the construction of the mall.

She claimed that she only heard from other women traders in the area that plans were afoot to move the market and traders.

The task team, comprising economic development MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu and MEC for transport and community safety Willies Mchunu, was appointed by KwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize to look into the Warwick Triangle issue following the controversy that erupted when it was proposed that the Early Morning market be moved from its historical site.

Mabuyakhulu said that the submissions they had received indicated that most parties said there was no proper consultation.

He said that they had set strict deadlines that would need to be followed when working towards implementing the task team's recommendations. He said that the consultative process would have to begin immediately and should be completed by the end of next month.

Phumzile Xulu of Streetnet said that the recommendations of the task team were exactly what they had been saying all along to the municipality.

"We welcome the recommendation that the talks be reopened, this time with more transparency and trust. We are going to consult with all our members about these findings and recommendations. We will then discuss a way forward," said Xulu.

The task team also recommended that the administration process and the awarding of permits should be re-organised to prevent the exploitation of the traders and abuse of the system.

It has been discovered that traders who were no longer trading were subletting their stalls and collecting rent.

A mother of five children from Umlazi, who wished to remain anonymous, said she had been renting a stall at the market for years and was happy that she was now going to apply to have her own stall.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT